Saturday, January 7, 2012

The great thing about being an artist

I have this wonderful book called "Work as a Spiritual Practice," by Lewis Richmond.  I have read it through at least once - I have also bought it once, lost it, and had to buy it again - it's that good.  Mostly I keep it around and pick it up, and read a page, and put it down, and pick it up again later.

He writes:
An eminent artist once said, "The great thing about being an artist is that for your whole life you know what your work is."
Which is true.  I guess.  Once I am working, I am focused, engaged, absorbed.  There is also the decision to be an artist - which, at least in my case, wasn't exactly a decision as much as a fact, like breathing or eating.  I don't feel like it was a choice, as much as a recognition that I am not happy or as involved in anything else I do with as much completion as when I am making art.  It just "is".  That mountain is over there, the sky is blue, and I am an artist.

But there still is a lot of uncertainty, especially when I'm not in the act of creating, but when I'm thinking about creating.  What shall I make?  Can I make it?  Will it come out okay?  What will other people think?

The most recurring question is "What if I do this?"  So many this-es to try!

But all that (ok, most of it) fades away when the hands start moving and the mind connects with the object in front of me.

I wish I knew who that "eminent artist" is - even google doesn't seem to know.


--------

No comments:

Post a Comment