Monday, February 7, 2011

Google Art Project

I noticed in the NY Times a critique about the Google Art Project. When I go on vacation, I try to plan my adventures around what painter I am interested in or what museum have I not been to, or not been to recently. (Philadelphia and Duchamp is next!)

I am enraptured now with this painting of Joseph Roulin by Van Gogh. The project allows me to do digitally what I long to do in person with a great painting, which is to get up very close, poke around a little with my eyes (and yes, I do long to touch it with my fingers! but I won't!)  to see the artist's hand and mind at work.  Look at Joseph's eyes - the remarkable shapes of the lids, that pinky-orange outline.  Compare the bluegreen of the irises to the deep blue in his beard and mustache.  How is it that the background looks so natural, unfractured?  Is that the canvas I see on the cheekbones?  I could spend hours looking for where the paint is transparent and where it is impasto...  Oh, and the greens, the greens.  What genius.

Van Gogh's work is full, very full and rich.  I have a watercolor sitting on my easel right now, based on a pinecone, and it is looking a little forlorn.  It needs more, I need to fill it up!

Thanks for this, google :)

No comments:

Post a Comment